skip to main |
skip to sidebar
INKED
The subject of tattoos and piercings over the years caused great controversy concerning their exposure when undergoing a particular profession or occupation. The debate of discrimination of tattoos within the workforce has been ongoing for quite sometime. Although there are still many people against this form of expression, it has become more acceptable and seen as trendy. This forms the question: Are tattoos and piercings an identification of fashion?
Last semester throughout one of my fashion subjects, I completed an assignment that I focused on fashion identity. This topic eminently interested me as I definitely have a love for tattoos and piercings. I won’t bore you and re-write my whole essay, however I want to share aspects that I learnt when researching this particular topic.
I find it quite enchanting that specific physical attributes create someones identity. The photo below is an well-known model – Rick Genest, or as he is known, ‘Zombie Boy’. Rick is completely covered with tattoos representing a skeleton. Although I completely believe these tattoos are extreme and intense, his tattoos has created a successful identification in the modelling industry
This next photo however, is a model dressed immaculately and respectfully yet, parts of his tattoos are exposed. Many careers would object to his visible tattoos even though his attire is neat.
One day shopping, I came across a girl who had a pug tattoo. Since I’m obsessed with animals the tattoo sparked my interest. A few weeks later I saw her again and nudged my friend saying, “Look it’s the girl with that pug tattoo”. This pug tattoo became not only her personal identity but also her fashion identification. Your piercings and tattoos become part of your physical attributes.
Although I do not desire to be covered in tattoos, I know that I will at least have one. This will become part of my ‘look’ and entwine with my fashion, alongside with my piercings. I love the look of a ear fully pierced which is my aim to finish on myself. Everyone has different desires and looks they want to express. Having to remove those expressions due to careers is ridiculous. As long as that particular person looks respectful and obtains a high standard of work ethics, they should not be rejected. Tattoos and piercings can be seen as a fashion statement not some rebellious outlook. I would recommend not completely covering your face in tattoos, creating holes in your chin or becoming the next human dragon from body modification, but i guess each to their own! Just not my thing.
Although it’s irritating that society is still quite judgemental on the idea of ‘self expression’, for now we have to follow the rules…or at least try and sneak through them as best you can!
Elise X
No comments:
Post a Comment